Integrating blogs and other web tools to English teaching-learning process.
The purpose of this project is to make a proposal for the ICT in ELT course to be developed with my students of English IV who study to become English teachers at Universidad Nacional Experimental Simón Rodríguez, in Palo Verde industrial area, Caracas, Venezuela.
By the end of the course students will develop their English communicative competence appealing to blogging and other web tools.
1. learn how to use blogs and other web tools to develop their English communicative competence.
2. be able to integrate blogs and other web tools in their English learning process.
3. do complementary activities outside the classroom applying blogs and other web tools.
4. learn how to work with their classmates in a cooperative way.
5. promote the benefits of blogs and other web tools in English learning.
A blog is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentaries, descriptions of events, or other materials such as graphics or videos.Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order.
In the language teaching field, Campbell (2003) distinguishes three types of blogs:
- the tutor blog
-the class blog
-the learner blog
The sample will be composed by sixteen (16) undergraduate students that study to become English teachers at Universidad Nacional Experimental Simón Rodríguez, in Palo Verde Industrial zone, Caracas, Venezuela.
English IV, (the 4th semester of a 5 year career)
Students will work in pairs giving as result 8 groups of 2 students.
Lenght of activities
Week No. 1
An introductory class related to blogs and other useful web tools for English learning will be taught to the students.
-Students will be motivated by their English teacher to become creators ands participants of a class blog.
Week No. 2
- Each group will create an account in blogger and write their welcome post indicating their personal data, expectations about the class blog among other important aspects.
Week No. 3
- Each group will create an account on Snapvine tool and record an "about us" message in which they will introduce themselves giving personal information.
-Each group will post their voice messages on the class blog.
- Different written texts included in the program of English IV will be assigned to each group in order to be read, summarized and posted in the class blog.
-The summaries posted on the previous week will be recorded on Snapvine tool and then posted on the class blog.
-Students will be asked to include to their summaries images and videos associated to the topics of the texts.
Week No. 6
- Each group of students and the teacher will organized a showroom about blogs and other web tools.
- Each group will have 10 minutes to speak about their experiences related to blogs and other web tools used in this project.